- Standards for Office Document Formats
- Implementations of Spreadsheet Programs
- Combinatorics and Universal Algebra, specifically the algebraic representations of Steiner Triple and Quadruple Systems
Development of the ODF (Opendocument Format) 1.3 Standard
I am participating in the OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards, OASIS) technical committees developing the ODF (Opendocument Format) Standards. Further Information on ODF is available at:
Some interesting article on standards setting:
- Simone Aliprandi: Interoperability And Open Standards: The Key To True Openness And Innovation. International Free and Open Source Software Law Review
Development of Gnumeric, an Open Source Spreadsheet Implementation
I am one of the co-maintainers of the open-source spreadsheet application Gnumeric.
Gnumeric is distributed as free software under the GNU GPL license; it is intended to replace proprietary and other spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel.
Gnumeric's accuracy has helped it to establish a niche for statistical analysis and other scientific tasks:
- McCullough, B. D. (2004-06-04). "Fixing Statistical Errors in Spreadsheet Software: The Cases of Gnumeric and Excel". Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
- McCullough, B. D.; Wilson, Berry (15 June 2005). "On the accuracy of statistical procedures in Microsoft Excel 2003". Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 49 (4): 1244–1252. ISSN 0167-9473.
- Keeling, Kellie B.; Pavur, Robert J. (1 November, 2011). "Statistical Accuracy of Spreadsheet Software". The American Statistician. 65(4): 265-273. doi:10.1198/tas.2011.09076.
Some other (non-academic) user reviews of Gnumeric: